Customer Service is the main pillar of strength in the business of insurance. Good relationships with your customers can help you reach any level of success, which is why customer relationship management or CRM has been given the utmost importance in every business, be it an insurance company or a call center. If you are an insurance agent, you should understand this thoroughly, because long-term relationships with your customers is the only thing that will earn you your commission and help you be in business for a long time.
The modern times has brought a lot of benefits to all of us that has dramatically improved our standard of living. At the same time, it has also doubled, tripled even quadrupled our risks, which is why there are insurance companies. Today, everything that is of good value needs to be insured. Therefore you will find automobile insurance, gap insurance, property insurance, payment protection insurance, liability insurance, health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, burial insurance and many more. Also, the number of companies providing such insurances has multiplied over the years. The kind of competition that exists has made it tough to survive for insurance agents. The only thing that can save you here is the long term relationship that you may have with your customers.
Why it is important to maintain long-term relationship with customers?
Satisfied customers can become your strength. You need to remember during customer engagement that a happy customer will return to you again and again. Not only will (s)he be loyal to you and your company, (s)he will also refer your products and services to many of his/her friends, colleagues and family members. This in turn improves the reputation of your business, for satisfied customers do tend to give positive reviews of your business and also rate it online.
How to maintain long-term relationship with your customers?
Insurance agents are always in touch with their customers, be it to sell policies or collect regular premiums. This is one thing that will pave the way to develop good customer relationships. However, a few things followed can make this relationship grow stronger in order to work towards your advantage.
- You need to set realistic expectations: While making promises it is always better to under promise than to over promise. When you under-promise there is a possibility to over-deliver and this can improve your image in the eyes of your customer. The customer starts feeling that he is important to you and takes a step forward to build a relationship with you.
- You need to connect with your customers: Even if it does not pertain to your job, it is good to help your customers by asking questions and giving suggestions. Always make it a point to ask your customer, what you can do for him/her. Although this may sound slightly ‘self-helpy’, it does work to your advantage most of the times. If you are of any help to them, they may come back to you again, which is a good thing to strengthen your relationship.
- It is important to document things and keep them handy: For example, you could keep track of your customer’s birthday or anniversary and send him/her a card or a note. It pays to remember his/her kids’ names too. It is important to do a little extra if you want to thrive in the business of insurance.
- Prompt response is of utmost importance in the business of insurance: Delayed responses or failing to respond may make your customer feel neglected or unimportant. He/she may even stop contacting you. Once your customer places a call to your call center, it is very important to reply to his/her call at the earliest. Quick and fast responses to the inquiries of customers can take you a long way in CRM.
- Think less like an insurance agent and more like a salesperson during customer engagement: This will help you in being persistent. Also, you will be surprised to see how you will be able to convert so many ‘NOs’ into ‘Yeses.’
The only leverage companies have in such a competitive industry are relationships. Relationships that induces brand loyalty and customer retention, that can guarantee no matter what kind of alternative catches the eye of the customer, (s)/he prefers to stay with you over others.